On Friday, March 27th, online I convened a new group made up of individuals who either are working with me in therapy now or have worked with me in the past. They are all extraordinary individuals who are committed to their own psychological, intellectual, and spiritual development, and that of those around them. In addition, they are a highly accomplished group with many varied professions represented.
I want to share with you some of my takeaways:
- By sheltering in place you ARE doing something in service to the community.
- Through a dream the message came to us–it’s time to let go of what doesn’t serve you and also time to make way for something new.
- Even though the external situation is serious, don’t feel guilty if you have fun and enjoy yourself.
- Dancing (alone or with someone) lifts your spirits.
- Here’s a new way to watch a movie: Watch a bit. Stop the movie. Discuss what you’ve seen with a partner who is sheltering with you, or arrange ahead of time to do this remotely with a friend. Then watch a little more. It will take awhile to complete the movie, but it’s a rich new experience.
- Draw a big circle on a piece of paper. On the outside write the things you can’t control. On the inside write the things you can control. Take it from there.
- If you’re angry, channel that powerful energy into action.
- Music helps. Use it to chill and stay calm. Use it to crack your heart open so you can cry.
- One of our group members shared a beautiful thought, “Make yourself a refuge.”